Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Silly me forgot to blog about my first French lesson yesterday.

The funniest thing about it though, was that I actually didn't realise that my French lecturer was taking attendance at the beginning of the class until he'd called about 5 names. :P

And then as usual, I started worrying and wondering how my name would come out.

After 3 years in NUS, I can count the number of tutors who *haven't* mutilated my name on one hand. Some of them seem to have a problem with names which exceed two syllables, some of them seem to have trouble with English itself (what the hell??), let alone English names, but what I hate most of all is when only some garbled, half-assed version of my name stumbles off their tongue; something which, most of the time, sounds vaguely like "Jehr-deen?"

My hand goes up; "Um, it's 'Geraldine', sir. Or you could just call me Gerri."

Better that than have you ruin my name for the rest of the semester.

But hey, surprise, surprise (although thinking back on it, I shouldn't have been surprised...).

My French tutor *enunciates* EVERY *SINGLE* letter of my name perfectly. And hell, my name sounds *fantastic* with a French accent. XD

No comments: