Sunday, May 14, 2006

People's behaviour can be strange. I still don't understand why people like to buy Toto or 4D whenever something bad happens, instead of something good. Do they figure that there has to be a balance in the universe, and some extremely bad luck has to be balanced by some extremely good luck or something?


I've got back my old promoter job from last year; Reckitt Benckiser actually pays pretty well. :) Figure they should. This is the company that owns and sells Dettol, you know.

But anyway. Working in Clementi this week. And the strangest thing happened this morning while I was coming in to work.

There's a little coffeeshop literally just round the corner from the supermarket where I'm working. This morning, there was a sizable crowd of people all gathered around the outside of that coffeeshop, all gazing upwards and talking loudly, accompanied by the sound of a siren blaring.

I thought, what, is someone gonna jump? and I glanced up as I was walking, but I didn't see anything except an open window and white curtains billowing out of it. So I just carried on my way. Some of the other aunties working as promoters would later tell me that it was a fire on the eighth floor.

But for now, as I walked along; there was a Singapore Pools right next to the coffeeshop, and right then, there was a long line of people queueing to buy Toto/4D. And I thought, are they buying just coz they think something bad is going to happen?

And almost as if on cue, as I squeezed through the line, a woman in the queue turned to shout to her husband: "Ji lou ah?" ("What floor is it?")


People are strange.

No comments: