Friday, July 13, 2007

In addition to special term stuff, Gerri actually has two other "projects" going on at this period of time.

One is really very hush-hush and everything; shall not blog about it here. All anyone needs to know is that it's been ongoing for the last two months now. It's taking far longer than I expected. Probably partly because I'm kinda lazy at times. -_-

Aside from that, I have another one.

My dad bought me a model plane for a birthday years ago, but because I had no idea to go about fixing it up and no one around me knew how to either, it's just been lying in its box, gathering dust all these years.

But, now my cousin's come to stay with us coz he's studying here, and he recently brought a few of his unfinished Gundam models down from Malaysia, so he has the know-how that I don't.

Turns out that the process is really quite simple; all the little parts are labelled; you just need to cut them out and put them together as shown in the booklet that comes with them.

The hard part is when some of the pieces are so tiny, or when you're sticking on so many tiny parts at a time that there's just nowhere for you to hold onto as you put them on and try to get them to stay where they are.


So now, for pictures. The model is an F14 Tomcat plane, by the way.

This is the first part of the plane to be put together: the cockpit:

Some of my "tools" can be seen in the background; plastic cement, super glue for the metal parts, and thinner.


The inside of the cockpit. I had to cut out and stick together every piece that you see in there. My thumb is there for you to get an idea of the size of the thing. :D


The wheel! The small parts were all painstakingly stuck on by me. No tweezers were used because I didn't have any at this point in time.


This is the body of the plane; half-completed.




Left: The turbines. Right: Close-up of propeller detail inside.


These are the back wheels. If you look at the top left part of the picture, you can see the assembly that was required for them.


The mostly-complete main body of the plane.




One of the best-looking parts of the whole model: the ladder leading up to the cockpit. The ladder was actually optional, but I chose to do it, thinking that detail would be good.
The left picture is a view from the top (and you can see how small it is in relation to the cockpit), and the right picture is a close-up. Each individual rung, step and the two metal sides were all very painstakingly, carefully put together.


And here's where I stopped: the wings.


As for my other project... Does anyone know where I can find nice, big, simple-looking glass containers? I might need one with about 2 litres capacity...

No comments: