Monday, August 06, 2007

Just moved into Ridge View this morning.

I came early, hoping that I'd be able to change my room (coz Nic told me it might still be possible), but alas, no can do.

So here I am, sitting in my newly cleaned room (except for the floor) and bemoaning more than just a couple of things about it, while sorely missing my Eusoff room.

To begin with, my room windows face the road, and sitting here, listening to the buses go by is making me lose almost all hope of sleeping in late in the mornings. Not to mention that all the vehicles going past are going to make my room get dusty a lot more often. I am definitely keeping my blinds drawn.

At first glance, the room seems a bit smaller than my Eusoff one, but on second thought, it might just be the arrangement of the (mostly-immovable) furniture fixtures that make it seem that way.

The bed, most of all, is quite annoying. There're shelves at both ends of the bed, and the shelf at the foot of it is really quite unnecessary and looks rather out of place. Especially when you consider that the shelf faces outwards (not back onto the bed) and because of where it is, the entryway of the room is barely half a metre wide.

There're lots of cupboards, but most annoyingly, few drawers; there're no desk drawers, only shelves, and I'm definitely not going to climb so high to reach the top shelf all the time. So I moved the board separating the first and second shelves in each of the cupboards above the desk and made a big, tall space for files instead. :D

The toilets aren't nearly as big or as brightly lit as the ones in Eusoff, but I suppose they're passable; at least they're still quite clean. It's just the dreary grey and white colour scheme which makes everything look rather shabby, I think. The Eusoff toilets were big and well-ventilated, with light orangey-pink tile and yellow lighting; yellow lighting always makes a place feel more homey.

But there is one good thing. Half of the shower cubicles here have shower heads that can move; in Eusoff, all the shower heads were fixed into the wall. I was actually quite surprised to find that Ridge View has ones which are movable.

Shall be off now; going to have lunch with Connor and Nicholas. Later, I still have my Honours briefing to attend-- *finally*. Almost every other department seems to have had theirs already.

No comments: