Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Problems today. A lot of the freshmen raggers found that they had a *big* problem running for MC coz suddenly, out of nowhere, there're two groups of seniors gunning for the positions.

A lot of them have withdrawn, apparently, with all the competition; we don't stand much of a chance against seniors, after all, who've definitely had more time and opportunity to network than we have, and well, one of the people who's running doesn't really have what it takes to be a real leader; all they have on their side is really just charisma, and that person will probably be able to win a lot of votes on that alone.

Most of the freshies don't want to have to work under that person.

Feel that it's a good thing that I had to run for archery MC after all; at least I have something to do right now. Most of the freshies are gonna wait till next year; I'll wait it out with them, tho I'm only in half a mind to run for it. I'm just in it for the exposure; I know that I don't have all that much leadership capability.

Yes, there are two kinds of people in this world, the leaders and the followers, but I think that being a leader has been over-glorified; leaders are, really, nothing without followers, after all.

It isn't a bad thing to be a follower, as long as you don't follow blindly or for the wrong reasons.

I think at the very least, I have enough insight to see what I don't want in a leader, and to know the good leaders from the bad ones. And what myself and the other freshies see is that those who really do have what it takes, are being marginalised, only because that person's charisma manages to sway others and their group is edging out competition.

For the good of the whole of the arts faculty, I seriously hope that you do not make it into a high position; it seems inevitable that you will make it past the external elections because of your networking and PR skills, but when it comes to internal elections, I hope that those who have managed to make it into the committee will have enough responsibility to give the high positions to those who deserve it more, and not to those who simply make themselves seen and heard everywhere.

No comments: