Wednesday, April 18, 2012

It's been a productive day.

Went to apply for my visa to Japan this morning, and I'll be back to pick it up this Friday.

The efficiency of the Japanese Embassy amazes me; it's the second time I've gone to apply for a visa there, and it is completely unlike any other Embassy/ High Commission I've ever been to.

From the time you step in, take a number, sit down to wait, and then hand in all your documents and are told, "That's all, thank you," it's a grand total of about 15 minutes.

 And since that was sorted so quickly, I took the bus back to Holland Village, had brekkie at the Coffee Bean there, and finally finished Marquez's "The General in His Labyrinth".

So that means book number 5 for this year is finally complete! :)


"General Simon Bolivar, “the Liberator” of five South American countries, takes a last melancholy journey down the Magdalena River, revisiting cities along its shores, and reliving the triumphs, passions, and betrayals of his life. Infinitely charming, prodigiously successful in love, war and politics, he still dances with such enthusiasm and skill that his witnesses cannot believe he is ill. Aflame with memories of the power that he commanded and the dream of continental unity that eluded him, he is a moving exemplar of how much can be won—and lost—in a life."

The synopsis makes me feel a little sad, and strangely, it makes me think of our dear Mr Lee Kuan Yew as well. Singaporeans now seem to be divided between the (fading) generation which remembers his glory days and how much he did, and the younger generation who only seem to be champing at a bit which they can only see as restraining.



5. The General in His Labyrinth by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, completed on 18th April 2012.


And finally, the biggest news of all today:


This is my ticket for AAA's 13th May concert in Shimane. Connor helped me ask a friend of his friend (who turns out to be Ben and Gen's mutual friend! It's an awfully small world!), who bought it for me!


This alone has just made my day, week, and entire MONTH. XD

No comments: