Wednesday, January 18, 2006

So I've made a sort of return to writing fanfiction, after.. um.. 3 years? I wrote a Narnia piece entitled "Before I Sleep" just a couple of weeks ago; it's mediocre, but hey, I wrote it in ten minutes at three in the morning.

And it's a good thing to get reviews; positive ones, appreciative ones, and those which give good constructive criticism.

But what I found in my inbox this morning after breakfast was more than just "a good thing". It completely made my day. Maybe even my week.

Any day that I see something like this is a good day:


Dear Gerri,

Hi! I'm writing an article on fanfiction for the 'School Librarian' journal in the UK, and I've referenced your story 'Those You Left to Fall'. It's just a passing reference, but I thought you might like to know you'd been mentioned. I've attached a copy of the article if you're interested in reading it. Do let me know if you have any comments or concerns.

On a more personal note, I'd just like to say that I loved the story. I think you're spot on in identifying the way that virtue is lionised in HP at the expense of the 'imperfect'. I love the interplay you've got between Harry and Draco, where the possible friendship is clear but it's overlaid by all that has passed. I'm a sucker for 'embittered but clear-sighted Draco'!

Hope this is all ok.

Best wishes,

Lucy



It's more than "ok"; I'm kinda boggled that of the THOUSANDS of Harry Potter fics out there, she'd want to use one of mine; there're tons of far more amazing fic writers out there. (If you want to read the fic she's referring to: "Those You Left to Fall")

But for now... I'll be happy with what I can get. :) I'm sitting here listening to Jars of Clay's "Waiting for the World to Fall", my fingers and toes are chilled by the night wind, but inside somewhere I'm warm; and Life... is good right now. :)

No comments: