Saturday, February 04, 2006

I wonder sometimes why I always seem to notice the little things that don't really seem to matter.

And if I could do nothing but sit and watch the world go by, I would put it to paper, the ways in which the people in my life move and talk and imprint themselves on the canvas of my memories.


A gentle sort of almost-lisp in a smiling face and a lilting laugh. [N]

I imagine you two sitting on a boat, in the middle of a lake, which could never really exist here where we live, but which I can dream up for you anyway. And your fishing rods will bob intermittently, as you talk the day away, waiting for a fish to catch and the sun to set the water's surface aflare. [ZZ]

To love you so much and to love you so little. It seems you've changed, got even thinner over the months, but my heart twinges only when I stop to think. And even then, to my surprise I find, I struggle to remember your likeness; your face is half-hidden in shadow. [I]

So entirely unpretentious, moving through people's lives seemingly not knowing how you affect us all. And everytime it seems that with the gestures of love in return, you really are truly surprised. [P]

Not here and not there. I feel nothing and everything. But what I remember most was when you were talking to me, and the evening sun was shining from one side, lighting up our faces. And as the light illuminated everything, I noticed how your eyes were the lightest shade of brown I'd ever seen. And for a moment, I forgot what you were saying. [V]

Sometimes I look at you. Sometimes I watch you two. Sometimes I envy you. And then I think of what you told me once, what it was like when your other half went away. And you told me things would soon be better, but I think this is all they will be. And when I think about it, we're different; for was not someone always waiting for you? How unlike each other you two are, and yet, how well-matched. Sometimes when I close my eyes, I see a veil and a white bow-tie. [RW]

How I love the way you write. A dreamy sort of meandering ramble that takes this life and makes a fantasy landscape of it all. And how you're always ready with a smile and an understated laugh, dry humour waiting in the wings as the strangest little things you sometimes do make my world a brighter place. I hope you're happy now, holding her hand and getting yourselves lost in all those pages upon pages of joy. [K]

No comments: