Thursday, April 13, 2006

Had this very "Formula 17" moment yesterday.

"Formula 17" is a film which is banned in Singapore, and for those reasons, I'll leave it up to you to find out exactly what it's about, if you feel so inclined. :)

But, anyway. Yesterday, I was on the Internal Shuttle Bus that crawls (no, really, it *does* crawl) around campus, on my way to Science for my Physics module test. It wasn't really crowded, but there were still quite a few people standing in the aisle, and I had a seat next to the aisle.

So there was this guy who got on, shuffled along towards the back of the bus like a good civil-minded citizen, and ended up standing right next to me. My first impression upon getting a glance at him was that he reminded me a lot of the guy who plays the cheeky bartender in "Formula 17"; I liked that guy-- he was like a flamboyant, exaggerated, instant-mood-swinging caricature of a Japanese anime character, and almost anything that he did in the film had me laughing.

So this guy was talking on his handphone, saying that he was just really tired of "quarrelling all the time". I assumed then that he was talking to a friend about relationship problems.

There were references made to "Dear", and from time to time, he'd lapse into Chinese. Now here's something that you should know, if you're not Chinese or if you just don't know: the Chinese forms of the words "he" and "she" both sound the same: "ta"; only their written forms are different.

So when he lapsed back into English and I heard this, I was kinda surprised...:

"Yah, but I don't understand why with him I always have to be the one to give in..."


Lol. ^_^ I started quietly laughing at myself after a while.

No comments: