Tuesday, April 04, 2006

6.35 pm, 4th April 2006.

That's the time and date which I watched my first ever R21 movie!

Yes, it was "Brokeback Mountain". And yes, it's kinda late, but I've been busy the last two weeks, all right?

It's nothing fancy, that's for sure; the most spectacular scenes in the whole movie are those shots of the slopes of the mountain for which the film is named, covered in grass, some snow, the sheep that the two protagonists-- Ennis and Jack-- are herding, and lovely little stream.

But sometimes its the things which show you the mundaneness of all our lives which make you think. And feel.

While I was watching, I hated Ennis at first. Well, maybe "hated" is a strong word, but he was really annoying. But the one thing that sticks with me after the whole movie is that scene where he tells Jack, "I ain't queer, you know." Not surprisingly, Jack replies back, "Neither am I." And this is despite the fact that they did the deed just the night before.

When I first saw that scene, my initial thought was, "Well, what the hell do the both of you think you were doing last night, then?"

But I saw that in a different light later, when I got home.

It's true that Ennis "ain't queer". Why should he label himself as queer? Or Jack, for that matter? Because he loves a man?

Why not look at it another way?

He loves. And if someone can love, how "queer" is that?


Pam and I stopped by Kinokuniya before heading home; I realise that I haven't been to Orchard in ages. All I've ever done in the last two months is go to school and come home! NUS has utterly consumed my life. Not that I had that much life to begin with anyway.

But I digress.

I ventured into the graphic novels section again to gaze upon that one shelf which stocked the whole "Sandman" series by Neil Gaiman. Turns out that there're ten books in all, collections of the original 75-issue comic series first published from 1988-1996. Each costs about $30. It's going to be a long time.

But, on the other hand, my 21st birthday is in July... hehe. *HINT* XD

No comments: