Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Sociology of Deviance paper earlier today. Well, technically, it was yesterday, since it's already past 2 am in the morning.

Must be the single best paper of all this semester, just as I thought it'd be. I completely screwed up my Anthropology paper coz I had no idea how to answer the questions and there were *FAR* too many readings to read and remember; my English Language paper was only so-so (though it could've been a lot worse if Ivan hadn't given me an EL1101E crash course the night before), and Philosophy was the same. And during the paper, I discovered what my problem with Philosophy readings is: I can read and absorb and process the deep, somewhat-orderly ramblings of those philosophers, but at some point in the reading, I will invariably lose my concentration somewhere, for no apparent reason, and will then have to backtrack at least two or three lines to where I last recall understanding what I was reading.

What happened with Sociology of Deviance was a real morale booster.

I was actually going to leave the house at about 9 am, but then the computer caught my eye, and I thought, "What the heck; why don't I just listen to the recording of my last Deviance lecture? Might help..."

And later in the afternoon, the compulsory question of the paper turned out to be what Dr Gana had said and talked about in the last ten minutes of that lecture. Word for word, it was what he'd said. I am one DAMN lucky girl.

And for the optional question, out of the four that were given, I chose the one which asked about relating the theory of anomie in Singapore's context. Too good to pass up, man. Although, yeah, probably almost *everyone* might do that question. Anomie Theory is one of the easiest things to learn and remember in the whole course, after all.

And while I was writing out the answer for that question, I suddenly had this brilliant spark of genius; well, partly inspired by the Robert Merton reading that I'd just completed in the bus on the way to school, but it was a really inspired thought, anyway:

... our contact with the West has succeeded in making the cultural goals of the American Dream applicable in our society, and furthermore, our Asian values advocate hard work as a means to achieve success. However, both sets of value systems do not state exactly what "success" is, and exactly how much is enough.

Sounds good, yeah? :P Well, at least, I think so. :P

Feeling bored and not wanting to study anymore; I've already finished four of my five papers by now, but my last paper's on the second-last day of the exams. Don't really feel like studying for it, firstly because I've been studying almost non-stop for the past week or so, preparing for the last four papers, and secondly because the fifth of May (the date of my last paper) seems so far away right now.

Of course, the second statement isn't really true; it's only nine days. So really, I should stop slacking. But I just don't wanna study anymore... :(

Wanted to make a desktop wallpaper of Zhao Yun from "Dynasty Warriors 4" sometime ago, but put that off because of lack of time and lack of pictures which I can use. Want to make a desktop wallpaper of Raiden from "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of LIberty" now, but again, lack of time and pictures.

Downloaded the NAC Golden Point Award application form just now, think I'll print it out tomorrow morning, and if I don't have time to write something new, maybe I'll just submit one of my older works instead.

Sigh. I wish my exams were really over.

No comments: