Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Woot. I think I have joined the likes of Shiling in idolising the Archery National Team. Haha.

Some of the seniors came to coach us today in school; namely, Jennifer, Benson, and another girl whose name I think is May. I think they're all Nat Team members. Most of the seniors seem pro enough to be Nat Team to me, though. :P

Good news: Jennifer said that while she was watching me during the competition, she noticed that my form is good, and my bow arm is very strong (eh? really?? :P).

Bad news: But my release is bad. That's not really anything new though. I've known that there's a problem with my release technique for a long time, but I've no idea how to correct it. Most probably coz you can't see the way you release. :P

Good news: Benson came over later and helped elaborate on some of the stuff that Jennifer was coaching me with. AND NOW I FINALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT HE WAS TELLING ME ABOUT TWO MONTHS AGO!! :P

Bad news: Benson's technique makes my shoulders ache horribly. But then again, that's sort of a norm here, haha. So nothing new. :P But his technique does make things feel more... right, so to speak.

So, after that short but rather productive training session, headed off to Expo to do my shift, selling candles for charity. Arrived early, while Kelvin Si and (year 2) Clement were still doing the last leg of their shift, and man... they sold a damn lot of candles for a weekday. Must've been Clement's friendliness and his networking skills; Kelvin's too, although I think, with Kelvin, to a lesser extent. :P

Was feeling really horrible with my flu and sore throat (yes, unfortunately it's confirmed, I *AM* sick now), and I really didn't want to get up and ask a whole lot of mostly selfish, apathetic people to please be generous and help the poor and that it's only $2 a candle so won't you please consider?

So, I sat at the table and watched the cashbox for a bit while Denise was mostly out there pushing sales. However, I can never sit still for very long when I'm doing this sort of charity/flag day kinda stuff. Don't ask me why; I'm not very sure either. Maybe it has something to do with collecting money, albeit that the money isn't really going to be for me. :P

So, I got up and went to help her, but I didn't dare stray too far from the table since the cashbox was really just sitting there in plain sight, so I figured that we'd need a third person to watch the cashbox at least, and Denise wanted to go buy something to eat, so one person couldn't really handle the booth, anyway.

Called Ivan, since he said that he was going to drop by and help us, anyway, and take note of this: when I called, it was about 4 pm, and he said okay, he'd come down right then.

Apparently, waiting for the bus and the bus ride to Expo from Tampines takes around two hours, because by the time Ivan reached Expo, it was just past 6 pm.

Denise screamed her usual greeting (for him) when she spotted him: "Piece of shit, you're FINALLY here! Took so long!!! From Tampines only, leh..!!"

And he replied saying something about having just woken up when I called; I didn't really hear the rest of what he said, but I think we can extrapolate from the first sentence.

We'd sold about 76 candles by the end of the day, although the last one and a half hours of our shift was spent scratching silly things in the fake-snow decorative frosting on the glass pane of the building, and with Ivan and me using the pamphlets to smack Denise on the head for her random, silly, giggly comments.

I've found that fundraising stuff is always more fun when you're doing it with the right people; preferably people whom you know and are comfortable with. I know that's probably the way it is with almost everything in this world, but I think with fundraising events, the good company always plays a big part in your not getting too depressed at being rejected so often. :)

No comments: