Thursday, March 10, 2005

I loved Rachel's concert!!! :D :D :D

7 songs; thought the first two were all right, James Barnes "Romanza" was well... something you'd expect of James Barnes, really. But the the third piece was really nice. "Children of Sanchez" was very heavy on the drums, but really enjoyable. Apparently it was from a film of the same name. Interesting; shall have to go look that up and find out what that was about...

But after that, the remaining four songs were DEFINITELY good. :D

"Phantom of the Opera"; I played that with CJC Alumni Band late last year for our combined concert with the main band, and while the NUSWS were playing it, I could still remember all the 3rd clarinet parts and fingering!! Hahaha...

Sadly though, Pam can play the flute solo in "Phantom" a lot better than the NUSWS player who was playing it.

Oh, but they didn't do what we did; during the pause before the title song comes on, what we did (or rather, what our conductor did) was that he completely stopped the music, had the lights switched off, and had Stephanie scream from back stage. :D

And man, her scream was good. :D

Then the lights came back on and we came in with the first chord of the "Phantom of the Opera"; as in, that song for which the musical is famous.

After that, "First Suite in E-Flat" by Gustav Holst; we tried playing that once, while I was still in CJ, but we never performed it. And I heard that at CJ's concert last week, they played that.

Then there was "Mononoke Hime", which is without a doubt, lovely, and finally, "Armenian Dances Part 1", which CJ Band played for the SYF before my year's SYF! :D

Was a lot of fun; firstly, mainly because of the excellent repertoire, and secondly because I was sitting in between Ivan and William, and could tell them a lot of stuff about band, haha.

Like how during "Phantom", I could point out the English Horn to Ivan (I only realised later that Mezraq was playing it O_O) and during the intermission, William asked me what was the difference between the alto, tenor and baritone saxphones. Really, it's just the length of the air column. Oh, and Ivan finally got the chance to see an E-flat clarinet! It was used in "First Suite", but you couldn't really hear it. Just as well, in my opinion. Yes, I'm still of the opinion that E-flats are horribly screechy. :P

Got very high after the concert, which Ivan and William will probably attest to, since I was laughing and giggling and hopping and skipping all the way back while we were walking back to Arts from UCC. :P

But it wasn't my fault, really! The repertoire was just too good not to love! And even Ivan's sis (another clarinetist) agreed that the repertoire was damn good, so see, I'm not the only one. :D

No comments: