Saturday, March 26, 2005

Okay, well, metal bow was just about as difficult as I thought it'd be.

Metal riser already weighs substantially more than a wooden riser; then add to that the two side stabilisers, which probably weigh about only 100 grams together, but when you extend your arm, holding 100 grams at the end of it makes it weigh slightly more than it should.

And then add the centre stabiliser which is the one which extends all the way out in front of the bow. AND which has weights on the end. Which weigh about another 100 grams alone, maybe? And when you consider that this stabiliser extends even further, that 100 grams on the end of the stabiliser weigh about three times more than they should.

Tiring, man...

And the problem that I previously had when I upgraded from a 25-pound wooden bow to a 28-pound one is back again; namely, I couldn't turn in my elbow and my form is all shot to hell. Well, maybe that's exaggerating; not ALL. My T-draw is still um.. half-intact, I think. Haha.

Also played around with Zhan Tao's bow for a bit; he's changed his bow. It's still a 34-pounder, but with a black Hoyt riser (I *think* it's a Gold-Medallist riser??) with Stinger carbon limbs.

Carbon limbs are um... well, simply put, VERY good stuff and hence, very expensive. The thing with carbon limbs that all our seniors have been telling us is that it makes your draw smoother and doesn't require as much strength; hence, 34-poundage carbon limbs, when drawn, feel more like 32-pounds. The same amount of power with less effort, in other words. You could say that carbon limbs are just more "flexible" than wooden ones.

When I was shooting with Zhan Tao's bow today, man, I could feel the difference immediately; Khim Nyang was right: "Once you shoot with carbon limbs, everything else will feel like shit." :D

So, all that aside, currently, my metal bow has a grey-black Samick metal riser, Samick Progress-1 limbs and is a 30-pound bow. Upgrade of two pounds. Heh... I was lazy, and didn't want to upgrade to things like 34 pounds; didn't want to take too long to retrain my form, since indoor competition is in June, and the rest of March and a good part of April are probably going to be spent mugging more than training.

All this is just making me appreciate my old wooden bow a little more; looks like good ol' Bloodsucker's going to be on hiatus till next year's junior comm steps in.

And on a side note, apparently Ivy Singh-Lim, President of the Singapore Netball Association, will be stepping down soon. Quite sad; I always did love how outspoken she was, and all her amusingly-worded insults. :D Enjoyed myself thoroughly that one time when she was on Channel NewsAsia's Primetime Morning and she was arguing with this other guy from the Singapore Sports Council over the subject of women in sports or something of the like. I've forgotten exactly what the subject was, but she was just giving him a hard time, man. I think the two newscasters were pretty amused themselves. :D

But, yeah, she has made a lot of headway for netball in Singapore; I wonder if anyone will ever do the same for archery. Coz currently, the President of the Archery Association of Singapore is this old guy (all right, maybe not old; middle-aged?) whom I don't have a terribly flattering opinion of.

But you didn't hear me say anything about that. ;)

No comments: