Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Post-Christmas "aftermath":

(Well, I like to call it "aftermath", haha)

Got back from Malaysia yesterday afternoon and met Pam in the evening to go watch Narnia; we finally managed to get a 9 pm show at GV Marina Square, and the movie was BRILLIANT.

Although there've been quite a few people who tell me that they think it sucked. And well... I might be able to see why. The thing is, Andrew Adamson's kept the movie really true to the book; I noticed the tiniest details in the movie which are mentioned just in passing in the book, but they're there, and for a fan of the books, it's that attention to every single detail that just makes you go, "Oh my goodness, they remembered even that!" and smile to yourself and laugh deep inside.

But admittedly, this makes the build-up to the climax of the story a long one; this works in books, but not in movies, especially when nowadays all anyone cares about is action.

For someone who read the books when I was about ten though, the movie was just, well, brilliant, because everything that you've ever imagined while reading it is there, in all it's beautiful glory. And if you've not read "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" before, you read that last line right: "books". Plural, not singular.

I've already had to enlighten a couple of people on this, and conversation usually went something like this:

"Well, have you read the books?"
"Ah..?! Got more than one, ah?"
"Yeah... there're seven."
"Wah, even more than LOTR?!"

*exasperation*
"They're thinner, don't worry. And simpler to understand."
"Oh. So the movie's based on the first one, is it."
"No... actually, 'Lion, Witch and Wardrobe' is the second book."

*confusion appears on fellow conversationalist's features*
"Then the first one....?"
"That would've been kinda boring to make a movie out of."
"Oh."


Harry Gregson-Williams' music is breathtaking. The strings in the battle theme are glorious, balanced with the heavy brass and the choir, and it's everything that a battle theme should be; foreboding and hopeful and of courage with no room or time for fear. The sadder secondary theme which Mr Tumnus plays for Lucy also has a Celtic kinda feel to it that I like; I've always felt that Celtic music more or less sums up Life-- mournful but still singing of and looking forward to the days to come.

Says a lot about me doesn't it, my taste in music with contradicting themes.

Someone did tell me once that I am the most paradoxical person that they know, after all. :)

No comments: