Saturday, November 19, 2005

19th of November... during which day Gerri was rather unproductive.

Couldn't really get into the studying mood today; studying in clubroom again might have had something to do with it. Or maybe not, considering that half the time, it actually was quite empty. Maybe my brain's just refusing to cooperate after the gruelling reading marathon that I subjected it to the whole of Thursday. Sigh.

Tired. I want this all to end.

Saw that music video for the SEA Games athletes on the bus again. And thought for the twentieth-plus time how unrepresentative of our atheletes the sample shown in the video is. (Haha... I'm talking in technical terms now.. the leftovers of my Methods module :P)

I've seen that excerpt that they keep showing on TV Mobile at least thirty times, and each time, I can't help but notice a few things:

1) Only the "popular" sports like track and field, wushu, waterpolo, swimming, badminton and table tennis are featured in the video; there're about 30-plus sports whose athletes aren't represented.
(*cough*archery,shooting,fencing*cough*)

2) In one of the opening shots, there is a shot of runners nearing the finishing line. The runner in the lead is wearing red, but his number tag says in LARGE letters: THA-- ergo, he's from Thailand, not Singapore.

3) In one of the closing scenes, there is a freeze-frame shot of two female athletes (table-tennis or badminton players, I think) kissing their gold medals. Unfortunately, if I'm not wrong, they were, um... "imported". The athletes, not the medals.

4) With the WCG (World Cyber Games) in town, I just can't help but imagine an extra scene with maybe a team of five players high-fiving each other over a bank of computers. Haha. :D


Benson and Albert Loh are shooting Recurve individual and team for SEA Games, and it turns out that the rumours flying around during the Indoor shoot this year really are rumours after all: Jennifer isn't shooting. And I heard the ladies' recurve team didn't make the cut. Sigh.

Hopefully Albert will win gold this year! That should teach the SSC to overlook the lesser-known sports. Ha. And maybe give the national team a better training ground, for goodness' sake.

And look what I found when I was surfing through SSC's site; they actually have profiles of the individual players! Benson and Albert Loh are the only people I recognise in the list of national archers; only some of the rest look um.. vaguely familiar. Well, okay, I'll admit most of them don't. Haha. I like the pictures on the profile pages. Very cool. Especially the background.

Have a look: Benson and Albert.

Benson's bow just steals his thunder in his picture, haha... Seriously, I've always loved the silver riser. Damn cool, can. I wonder if the national team gets paid. And if so, how much. :D

And Benson always makes me think of the time when the seniors asked the nat team seniors to give us some pointers in one training session after our AAS shoot; I'll always remember how I took a MONTH to understand what Benson was trying to teach me about perfecting my release. But I got it in the end, and it seems that as a consequence of that, everyone else on the NUS team seems to know my release as the "smoothest" on the team. But you know how you can be good at something but you can't explain it?

Yeah, that's a minor source of irritation for me, coz I can see the problems with release that the juniors whom I'm mentoring have, but I can't seem to make them understand. Sigh.

This is making me think about training. I miss my baby.. my darling bow.. I badly need to train; my back muscles are deteriorating due to the lack of training, I can feel it. It's a funny thing that seems to happen only with me; when I don't train for too long, my back muscles actually start to ache.

Shall consider training on Tuesday morning, especially if I'm gonna stay over in school on Monday night.

And while we're on the subject of shooting... someone help me think of a relatively embarassing forfeit for a guy to do (and please don't let it involve kissing another innocent bystander or something like that; no one else needs to suffer except this guy in question, haha).

My junior challenged me to a shooting match after exams; loser does a forfeit. He's already set the forfeit for me; if I lose, I'll wear a skirt and a spaghetti-strap top (which I actually did for the Sports Awards Dinner, which is where he got the idea. *rolls eyes*). So now... I have to return the favour. Haha. Use the tagboard on your left for suggestions, please. :D

No comments: