Saturday, November 12, 2005

Zoo trip was.. hm. Fun. In a way. Might have been more so if we'd actually walked through that rainforest walk that Ivan told me about and which ended up being my main impetus for coming along.

I was still only in half a mind as to whether or not to go on Thursday, until Ivan told me about the rainforest walk thing where they had animals freely roaming around and which you could touch... I'm not so sure about that last point, but that's what he said so, yeah.

We left the zoo at about 6 plus, then a few of us went to Orchard and had a bit of fun by ourselves; Hock and Leon and Ivan Chen joined us at Orchard, but Hock had to leave early. I left a while after he did, mainly because it was getting late, and I was losing interest.

And on the bus, I came to realise something.

In the clubroom, among the guys who played DotA, there once existed what was known as the "DotA Widows Club". It was enough of an internal joke that it even got featured in the Thank You Dinner video.

And the "Widows Club" once had four members; the girlfriends of four of the guys who played DotA.

And what of it now, you may ask?

Well, it doesn't exist. There's only one of them left which has survived the ravages of such a short time, but one member is hardly a club now, is it?


"...He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good."


(excerpted from "Two Songs for Hedli Anderson", by W.H. Auden)

No comments: