Friday, May 14, 2004

Went to watch "Troy" earlier today with my sis and her two friends.

It was the most tortuous 2 hours and 45 minutes that I've ever had to endure in my life.

Don't get me wrong, the film was fantastic, it's just that I wish that I'd never known the story beforehand!

Coz it's like you know everyone's gonna die, and it's like they're lemmings, you know, all just running towards their death, and all you can do is sit there and watch and you can't do anything about it!

Like when Hector goes out to fight Achilles and I knew that he was gonna die, and every SINGLE blow from Achilles looked like it'd finish Hector off right then and there; spears and swords thrusting and poking and it looks like anytime, someone's gonna hit something, and I was so damn scared but I knew he was gonna die, but I couldn't do anything; but no, parry, feint and thrust and almost hit, and not yet, not yet, and then suddenly, it was there, and Hector was dead, and god, it was so heartbreaking that I cried!

Yeah, I was right about that yesterday; I knew I was gonna cry when Hector died, but the tears didn't really spill over, they just welled up and stayed there.

If Eric Bana doesn't get a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination next year, I'll send hate mail to the damn stupid Academy!!

And the bit where they found the Trojan Horse and they wanted to drag it into the city, I wanted so badly to scream, "GODDAMMIT, DON'T BRING IT IN!!", but I couldn't and it wouldn't have helped anything anyway, and they brought it in anyway, even after Paris told his stupid father to BURN IT!!!

That's the only thing that I hated about Priam, him going on and on about his gods, and he NEVER listened to his sons! I can understand why he wouldn't have listened to Paris, but not listening to Hector?!? And the one time when Paris was right, when he asked Priam to burn the damned Horse, Priam didn't listen!!

I was actually considering watching Troy a second time, but now, after I've watched it, I NEVER want to see it again; I could NEVER sit through watching them drag the Horse into the city and seeing Hector die again!!! *wails*

Oh, and when we were watching this afternoon, the whole audience was snickering and laughing during the run-up to the Paris vs Menelaus battle, coz Paris was just so unsure of himself, when he was the one who wanted to fight and everything! He was babbling and wide-eyed and just nodding absently when Hector told him to "think about your sword and his sword, and nothing else, do you understand?"; so adorable! And he was getting hit more often than he was managing to hit, and then nearly towards the end of the fight, he suddenly swings out hard with his left arm and manages to land a really hard punch in Menelaus' jaw, and Menalaus spits teeth and blood for a few seconds, and the audience was like "Whoa.... pretty boy does have some spunk, after all!" The funniest thing of all at that point though, was that even Paris looked kinda shocked that he'd landed it, haha.

Oh, and I think Orlando Bloom's acting is much better in Troy than in Rings and Pirates; he's not as stiff as he was in Pirates, which was somewhat awful. I loved the bit where he went scrambling back to Hector; thought he did that very well.

Oh, and the whole audience was clapping and cheering when Hector stuck Menelaus with his sword! And of course, I was only too happy to join in, haha....

Thing about the film is, during the first half an hour or so, there're so many subtly funny moments that for a moment, it seems a bit like a twisted comedy. It goes from cheesy (with Helen and Paris going on and on with their various different ways to say "I love you" and "no, I love you more") to gory (with all the battles, which was really cool; Hector is a fabulous commander) to just absolutely saddening; when Hector died, everything just went downhill from there.

Went walking around Orchard for a while after the film... went to Kino and Borders and finally went to the toy shop where Pam said she bought her LOTR card, and when I saw all the cards they had in there, I wanted to rob the shop right then and there!

And next door was a shop that sold weapons; all those movie kinda props, and I saw Hadhafang for real, right before my eyes and it was in this beautiful display case, and it was absolutely wonderful.

Oh, yeah, my sis and I met Yien Li in Borders! Haven't seen her since I left IJ, and I remember when she used to be so small when she was Sec 1 and I was her Peer Support leader in Sec 3!

No comments: