Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I GOT INTO NUS!!!


Well, yeah, I did. Haha. Checked my email last night, and as of 12 mn this morning (morning/night??) I knew that I was accepted into FASS, haha...

Was so happy; my mum made me call my aunts and tell them immediately, and after that I messaged Pam, and we both came to a strange conclusion over the course of our messaging conversation: we both don't know any other girls who've been accepted to NUS.

Strange, no?

We're talking about girls here, coz well, all the guys in our year will only be entering NUS when we're about to leave it; in two years time! So far, total tally for guys accepted is four: John, Kevin and Wai Lun were accepted into FASS too, and Wei Jian got into engineering, but apparently John turned down NUS' offer coz SMU gave him the course that he actually wanted; well, good for him, anyway. :) All this is starting to make me wonder where we're all gonna be in ten years time or so.

*shrugs*

Oh well. This solves a lot of my problems, haha... :D Was damn worried that I'd have to go to an arts school in the UK (not that that's a problem; I'd love to go to an arts school) but I wouldn't have the finances for it so I'd be at a dead end!!

Yes, anyway, I'm damn happy, haha.

And just last night, I had curry for dinner; I hate anything spicy coz I don't see the point of making yourself suffer while you're supposed to be fulfilling a basic need (eating)-- see, another point to prove that humans are naturally masochistic! But I didn't have a choice, coz all there was was curry.. oh well. Anyway, it wasn't half-bad; it tasted nice, but my tongue and throat were smouldering away by the time I'd finished dinner.

Right, and my point is, I was thinking, what is it about chilli and ginger and anything spicy that makes us feel the spiciness? I mean, spicy stuff makes you feel like your tongue's sorta on fire, yeah? So what is it that the chilli does to make you feel that way? Does it increase the temperature of your tongue or something?

Logically, this doesn't make sense, coz that'd mean that if you put chilli seeds (coz that's where the spiciness comes from; the seeds, mainly, not the whole chilli) on paper, it'd raise the temperature of the paper and it'd catch fire. Interesting idea, but not logical.

So, I finally came to the conclusion, after MANY years of pondering this question, that what chilli seeds do, is that they inflame the taste buds on the tongue!

Yes sirree, that's it! They inflame the taste buds, so they cause this unpleasant (or pleasant for some people??) burning sensation, which we human beings call spicy!!

And that in itself is strange; we call a burning sensation "spicy"-- language is never short of synonyms, is it?

And Gerri is also happy because today, she has finally finished her first "Troy" wallpaper! Yay!

It's a Hector and Paris one, haha.

No, note the use of "and". "Hector AND Paris", not "Hector/Paris". I'm not that far into slash yet, altho, hey, why not? :D

It's just that I don't think that any of the Troy pics of the two of them that I've seen really lend themselves towards slashing. Or maybe I should go look for more piccies.

Ah well.

All right, shall be off now. :)

No comments: