Sunday, May 29, 2005

I'm a sales goddess, hahaha... :P I sold 43 tubs today!!! And 36 yesterday, might I add. Haha. So that means that the two shelves right behind me are almost completely cleared, save for 12 lonely tubs sitting stacked in two rows. :P And Jackson even told me that there was no more stock left downstairs when I told him that Steven had said to restock. :D

Turns out that Marina Square is far more crowded on weekends than it is on weekdays, and when one or two people stops by at my booth for a demo, usually a lot of others cluster around as well; herd instinct which works very well in my favour. :) So that means that I'll end up selling about 2 or 3 tubs per demo that I do, which is a very good thing indeed. :)

Anyway, I was on my way home; I walk through CityLink Mall and come out on street level at Raffles City, and today, near the traffic light junction between Raffles City, Stamford House and St Andrew's Cathedral, I noticed this stage set up.

Strangest thing about the stage that caught my attention was that the seats for the performance seemed to be set up below the stage. Walked over to the barriers that were set up around the area and read the small billboard attached to them with cable ties; they were a Spanish dance company, Producciones Imperdibles, performing this programme, Mirando Al Cielo (Looking at the Sky), wherein the audience sits below the transparent stage and watches the dance from below the stage. Hence, the chairs set up below the stage.

They were performing from today till the 31st, from 6.30 to 7.30 and 8.30 to 9.30, with a performance every fifteen minutes, each lasting about eight minutes, leaving the rest of the time for getting ready for the next dance and for the crew to change the lights.

Turned out that the performance was free, and there was a relatively short queue, so I thought, why not?

Headed into the queue; didn't get to watch the very next performance, but from where we were sitting, waiting out turn, we could still see the performance, albeit not from the angle that was intended. :) Was still lovely though; the four dancers, two male and two female, all dressed in white with the ladies in dresses with deliberately frayed and ripped hems, seemed to be characters in the dance just simply enjoying the music. The music itself was playful, light and enchanting; a little too happy for my taste, but I smiled while watching them dance anyway. :) At times, the dancers even leaned over the edge of the stage and engaged the audience below, waving, smiling or winking at them.

The dance that I got to see was much more to my liking; the music was a melancholy piece featuring a piano and violin duet. This dance really made use of the transparent stage; for half of the dance, the dancers, dressed in light, silky material of blue and purple hues, were lying down on the stage twisting around on their sides, somehow successfully simulating movements that would normally be performed on one's two feet.

It seemed to me like an exploration of the world somewhere between waking and dreaming, and love and vulnerability. The twisting on the stage somehow resembled fitful turns in sleep and when they did take to their feet, their actions were slow, withheld, sleepwalking, perhaps?

At one point in the dance, the two female dancers rolled and spooned behind the two male dancers, and in a slow, fluid movement, the two men got up, bent over double, carrying both ladies on their backs; an action that reminded me very much of children being carried to bed and of help being offered when there was no strength left. What struck me most during this part was that one of the male dancers was directly above me, and his eyes stared right down at me, somehow glazed and unfocussed, but clear and concentrated at the same time. Like he had no idea where he was going and how long he would bear his burden, but he knew that he would bear it all the same.

Right then, I teared and almost cried. Needless to say, I loved it.

And when I ran across the pedestrian crossing as the green light for pedestrians began flashing, my feet felt strangely lighter.

No comments: