Monday, May 23, 2005

Well, I made use of the public holiday to sleep in till 12 pm today; it's the latest that I've ever slept till in my life, might I add.

When I went downstairs to get breakfast, I opened the fridge and the first thing that greeted my still-somewhat-bleary eyes was this plate full of bright, *lurid* purple... something.

Finding something of that odd a colour in your fridge of all places, will wake you right up, I assure you.

So after the cobwebs of sleep had cleared a little, I realised that the bright purple something was actually dragonfruit. My mum had brought some back last night, and it turns out that it's a rarer species which has purple flesh instead of the more common white. My mum has stem cuttings of it too and intends to grow it. Yay. :)

We haven't grown much in the way of our own food ever since I was in secondary school and we actually had a long bean plant in our garden, so every month, we used to pluck the long beans and have them for dinner. :D And when my aunt came down from Malaysia once, she plucked some of the leaves and used them in soup. We didn't even know then that the leaves were edible.

But for some reason, my mum dug up the whole plant. No friggin' idea why the hell she did that... *grumblegrumble*

So. Anyway. Here's a picture showing both types of dragonfruit; apparently the purple one is called "red-fleshed dragonfruit", but really, it's purple. See for yourself.


Dragon fruit: white- and red-fleshed varieties. Posted by Hello

Later, after lunch, my youngest sister and I were helping our dad to hang up the curtains at some customer's house after they'd been drycleaned; my sister and I were sticking the curtain pins in the curtains, and while we worked, we were chatting away and my sis was singing the song that they have on Cadbury Milk Chocolate commercials at irregular intervals; you know, the one which begins with "Wouldn't it be nice if the world was Cadbury". She's semi-obsessed with the little jingle at the moment. While the little ditty plays, it shows you a 3D cartoon that's part of the commercial, in which the whole world is really made of chocolate, including the people.

The commercial sparked off a little round of silly inspiration in us:

Sis: If the world really was made of chocolate, no one would go hungry, man.
Me: Yeah. Just imagine; you're watching TV, and you suddenly feel hungry, but all you have to do is lean over and take a bite out of the sofa.
Sis: Oh, but what if everyone was made of chocolate, haha...
Me: They wouldn't last very long in Singapore's weather, that's what. Everyone would melt, lah.

Sis: (after a brief pause) Chocolate tsunami.
(Her eyes lit up with a silly giggle here :D)
Me: Yeah... and when that happened, people would be running to it instead of away from it, yeah? (Sis giggles) And instead of causing disaster, it'd feed millions! And it probably wouldn't do much damage; everyone gathered there would probably drink it all up before it could reach very far inland.

(Here, we both laughed like idiots for a moment before we eventually calmed down. And then my sis started at it again.)

Sis: Maybe we could try turning the ocean into chocolate.. everyone in the world contribute one tablespoon of cocoa powder...

Oh, the insanity that comprises my life. :D :P But that's about all the interesting stuff that happened today. Other than that, I managed to make more progress with my copy of Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451"; I'm almost done reading it. I highly recommend this book.

And while we're on the subject of books, BooksActually's site is now up! Go visit and order books!! :D

Oh, and if you remember the lovely song that I was talking about which was in the Kingdom of Heaven trailer, "Hope", I've managed to upload it somewhere, so you can download it here. Ladeeda. :)

Also, the song from Kenneth's blog, Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying".

No comments: