Thursday, May 26, 2005

Rag house-cleaning today...

After our short meeting in the morning, we drove over to our new Rag site and I saw the place for the very first time.

It really is very nice. When we first stepped into the house, despite it being dirty and everything; the floor covered in about half a centimetre of dust and the corners and sides of almost every room playing receptacle to every kind of household pest carcass that you could imagine and their droppings; it still looked like it really had the potential to be a really nice place.

There's a kitchen (although there's no stove, so I guess everything we eat in the house will have to be instant or ready-made stuff, unless we can get solid fuel and mess tins, which shouldn't prove too much of a problem), a large living room and a washroom downstairs, while upstairs, there're two bedrooms, a toilet, two showers (but one has a bathtub) and another small room, which could become another bedroom, except that it has no air-conditioning, unlike the other two bedrooms.

So, today, we got right down to business; while some helpers moved out some of the disused furniture that was downstairs, we headed upstairs to begin washing all the dust and filth off the floors; Jasmine and I took off our slippers and walked around in the filth and dirty water barefoot from the very beginning, heehee.

Keyou even started singing some selections from Les Miserables, and I joined in at the parts that I could remember. Man, it used to be that I listened to the soundtracks of Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables almost everyday and I knew every word of every song by heart. Now I don't even remember the last time I heard any of those songs.

We all had fun; the filthy water (it was *black*, I'm telling you) from upstairs eventually got channelled downstairs, making a black waterfall down the staircase, which eventually got cleaner as the day wore on. By the end of the day, we were finishing up with the living room and washroom downstairs. After that, most of the people who were helping with the clean-up were heading to the MC chalet's barbecue; I originally didn't want to go, but in the end, I thought, well okay, why not...

So, changed out of my house-cleaning attire and back into the jeans and shirt that I'd worn to school in the morning; was a good thing that I'd thought to pack my cleaning clothes instead of wearing them; at least I had a cleaner set of clothes to change into once we were done.

Ivan and Alvin and I made cheese prawns for everyone at the barbecue! Haha... See, thing is, they had prawns, but no cheese, so when Ivan and I dropped by the convenience store that the um.. "resort"(?) had, we found cheese and bought a packet. When we got back, Ivan and me started shelling the prawns and Alvin wrapped them in cheese. Only managed to wrap about half of the prawns though; wasn't enough cheese to go around. But everyone loved them. :D Cheese prawns are actually something that I learned of from Shaun during the first Rag barbecue that we ever had, so I guess this was sort of an eye-opener for the non-Raggers, haha. You should see the stuff that we eat at a Rag barbecue, man. I'd bet anything that it's better than what most people our age in Singapore can come up with.

Mostly coz we have Shaun. Haha. :D Seriously; how often in Singapore do you find someone trying to grill tomato halves sprinkled with herbs over a barbecue? :D

Diana made a comment at some point of the night, saying that I looked very feminine. I'm convinced that it was the shirt. I was wearing my new black shirt, one of those Giordano "Me" shirts; this one has green butterflies on the front of it, and it's a very "ladies-cut" shirt. Meaning that the sleeves are short and the shirt is quite long. Wasn't till I got home tonight that I realised that the new slippers that I was wearing also had a butterfly on each of them.

Huh. Whaddya know. I can actually match clothes. I might have some female sensibilities after all. :P

No comments: