Saturday, January 22, 2005

Bashes are like the ideal set-up for a demonstration of Murphy's Law.

For those of you who don't already know yet, Murphy's Law is a law which states that anything that can possibly go wrong, will go wrong. Which is also why the "Law" has never really seemed like a scientific "law" to me; more like a jinxing curse.

But anyway, my reasons for thinking the above about bashes: firstly, we don't own the place, so we're pretty much at the mercy of the people who do. Secondly, we can't control the music, which is probably the one most important thing which any bash needs to make it work and be a success.

So, this leads us to what happened at Arts Bash 1: it was drum and bass from about 11 pm onwards, which absolutely SUCKED. In Ivan's words (from about a month ago): "Imagine a constant drum beat going on and on for about a few hours; it'll drive you NUTS." I assure you, it did more than that for me; it pissed me off. And the management of Rouge are stupid, arrogant, knocked-up asses who cheated us.

In the beginning, it seemed like the Bash was going to be a fun one; everyone was enjoying the programmes and the music (which was R&B in the beginning), but after the programmes had ended, only about 5 more songs of R&B were played before they started into their STUPID drum and bass; it took a while for most of us to realise that it was what they were going to be playing for the rest of the night.

The last R&B track that they played was a remix of Usher's "Yeah"; which brings me to yet another thing. :) Before the song started, I was sitting next to Ivan in the booth that was "reserved" for the Arts Club MC and Affiliates; he was drinking a bourbon coke, and when the song started, I'd barely even registered that a new song had started before he'd downed the rest of his drink and had scrambled off his seat and onto the podium. That was scary, I tell you.

And good Lord, Ivan can really dance like it's no one's business.

For someone like me who's never seen him as anything but more or less rather calm and in control of himself, it was a bit of a minor shock to see him in such a state of... well, abandon, I'd say, and so uncaring of the rest of the world around him. Not that he really cares all that much for the opinions of the rest of the world the rest of the time, but well. You know what I mean.

So when we'd finally got really sick of the drum and bass, Ivan proposed that we do what he'd originally suggested at least a month ago: cross the road and go to Music Underground instead.

Ivan: If-- and this is a very big 'if'-- If I go recce Music Underground, check out their music and ticket prices, and I pay for you, do you wanna go over to MU instead?

So we went over to check it out, and found that sadly, it'd be $25 for Ivan-- $25 for guys and $12 for ladies; till now, I still can't understand why on earth ladies are charged less or given free entry when they enter a club while guys aren't.

Looks like the world at large isn't all that encouraging of equality of the sexes after all, huh? ;)

So we were pretty much stuck at Rouge, although sometime around 1 am, Ivan remarked that the $25 entry fee was "starting to look less and less like an obstacle". :P Sigh. Was probably partially my fault anyway; I'd forgotten to ask my dad for some cash before I left the house earlier in the day, so I had zero cash with me at the time, and I'd kinda drained my bank account buying textbooks and stuff. So if Ivan hadn't had to pay for me, he'd probably have been more able to pay his $25 entry fee.

We also almost got kicked out of the room that the Arts Club had booked due to some of the management's screwed up ideas that technically, our function was over, and just when I thought that things couldn't get worse, they did.

Alex got himself piss, sodding drunk.

I'd heard that it happened during Rag when they went out to Mambo one night, so I wasn't as freaked as Ivan was when one of Alex's dragonboating friends suddenly dragged him into the room; since I'd heard of it happening to Alex before, I was slightly less surprised-- although, I'll admit, it was slightly worse than I thought it'd be.

Ivan and Clement were sitting on either side of him on the couch, and they were trying to hold him down, since half the time, he'd try to get up after sitting docilely for a few minutes and go somewhere-- I have no idea where.

When the whole lot of us Arts Club people finally left at about 3 am, Ivan and I agreed that we were both going to go home and blast our techno. So, following in that vein, here's what's coming out of my speakers at the moment; not at the volume that I'd like since it's the wee hours of the morning, but it's techno, so hell, it'll do!

Fragma-- Toca's Miracle (Club Mix)
Dave McCullen-- Rave Heaven
Hard & Tango-- This Is My DJ
Catch-- Walk On Water (Baby You Can)(Wazari Club Mix)
Soda Club ft. Andrea Anatola-- Keep Love Together (Divine Inspiration Edit)
Spring Break-- Big Bad Love (Cascada Radio Edit)
Cascada-- Endless Summer (Extended Mix)
Darkness-- In My Dreams
Rimini Project-- No More Goodbye (Extended Mix)
Marc Korn-- Summer of Love (Mysterio Radio Mix)
Brandy-- Aphrodisiac (Speedbreaker Remix)

No comments: