Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Newest thing in Gerri's life:
Ivan Kwan is my new "unofficial" godbrother!

Ahem. *calms down*

Sorry, haha. If you know me well enough, by now, you should know I'm easily amused and easily excitable.. :P Plus, I've never had a godsibling or an older sibling or a brother before, so suddenly gaining all three at one time is all quite... fascinating. Somewhat. :P

Yes, anyway, so I've taken to calling him "gor" (older brother) and he's calling me "xiao-mei" (little sister) in return, and we're probably confusing the hell out of some of the people around the Arts Club Room who're still hell-bent on that rumour, hahaha...

Although, is it counted as a rumour if you've started it yourself? *ponders for a minute*

*decides to stop pondering-- don't have enough brain cells for that*

Soci paper. Was okay. Quite easy, actually; don't understand why some people keep saying that it was really difficult. When I came out of the exam hall, Denise was waiting outside along with some other people who'd come out of the exam hall early. When they said that it was difficult, I had the bloody shock of my life.

It makes me semi-paranoid when I find an exam easy and other people say that it's difficult. Because it can only mean one of two things:

1. Perhaps I'm really smart and I managed to remember all the stuff which I'm supposed to remember and I'm going to do really well! (Which I almost never believe, anyway. So, bleah.)

2. I probably misunderstood half of what was written in there and answered the questions wrongly and/or I gave answers that were too simple and I'm going to fail horribly because I didn't give enough details and oh, haha, I actually thought it was *easy*.

Obviously, most of the time, the second thought springs to mind. It didn't occur to me that fast this time, but now I'm thinking of it. It also doesn't help that, somewhere in the bowels of the Department of Sociology, there is a professor who set the exam questions who has a serious problem with the English Language.

A LOT of those questions were phrased oddly; some of the answers that we were allowed to choose from just didn't go with the rest of the sentence.

For example:

"The example of Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit in the Bible is the result of _______"

Of the four choices that we were given, the answer was "early dietary restrictions"; however, wouldn't the question then have made more sense if it'd been phrased this way?:

"Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit in the Bible is an example of early dietary restrictions."

And even then, there's still a problem with the phrasing... eating the forbidden fruit isn't an example of those restrictions; it should be the act of restricting that fruit itself, no?

See what I mean??

I wonder if we can complain if the paper itself is flawed... might help in getting a better grade. :D

Anyone taking SC1101E this sem who's reading this, do you agree? I know Rayner and Xinyan agree with me, so all I need to do is perhaps ask around and round up maybe.. oh, a hundred or so more people and we can all march up to the Soci department's office together and demand maybe 5 more marks for the examiner's folly. ;D

And now, time to face SE1101E.

I can't believe how stupid I am, but I've only just realised that perhaps the module that I should've been most worried about all along should have been SE1101E instead of EN2101E!!

I have not read a SINGLE SE reading since I did not buy the course pack, and I have never studied or revised for it throughout this sem, and since there was no mid-year test for this module, I probably ignored it even more; it seems like my brain has happily forgotten that I take a module called "Southeast Asian Studies". Selective memory indeed. Damn it.

So now I'm in the middle of frantically printing out and reading whatever e-reserves there are on IVLE and using them to read up on stuff for Thailand, Indochina (which is Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia) and Malaysia.

Obviously, this is what I'm spotting for the exam, coz to me, it seems like I have quite a good general grasp of what was taught for these countries, along with some vague idea of the significance of religion in the Philippines.

For Thailand and Indochina, the lectures on those two countries/regions were just about the only lectures where I wasn't absolutely bored to death; the history was really quite interesting. Probably because I finally understood what the hell America was doing in Vietnam fighting communists when it really wasn't their business. Not that I found out that they really had any reason to be there; now that I know why they were there, I agree that it was no business of theirs at all. Nosey, uppity, "do-gooders".

And horror of all horrors, it feels like nothing's going in!

Shit, maybe I really burned out after all. :'(

ARGGHHH... And why am I here still blogging?!?! Study, damn it...

No comments: