Thursday, November 18, 2004

Wake-up calls.

Yep, that's what my day started with at 6.30 am this morning. Only I was on the giving end, not the receiving end.

This requires some backtracking; okay, yesterday, while packing up to leave the clubroom, I remarked that I wanted to wake up early and get down to studying to maximise my time, and Ivan suggested a wake-up call. So in the end, when we got off bus no. 96 at Clementi, we agreed that we'd both give the other a wake-up call.

So I woke up at 6.30 am today to the sound of my alarm clock, and since I hadn't received any phone call, proceeded to call Ivan. Only I hadn't expected the voice on the other end of the line to sound so awake considering that I was supposed to have just woken him up.

Turns out that he didn't sleep at all last night; at least, that's what he says. Something about a really long web comic. And how when I called, he was actually playing with his dog. (-_-)...

When I got to school, it was 8 am, and I found Hock, Xuzi, Steven, Alex, Pei Pei and Yaozhong all outside the clubroom; it was quite obvious that they'd either slept very little or not at all. Well, Alex was sleeping, and Pei Pei was studying while waiting for Yaozhong to finish his game of chinese chess with Steven, but it was very obvious that Hock and Xuzi had had too little sleep.

They were laughing at almost everything and anything, and somehow, there seemed to be a running joke that anything that couldn't be explained was a social construct. Which I think is wrong, but well. I think it's just Xuzi's over-simplified, twisted way of trying to introduce Soci to Hock. :P

Went inside, slacked around a little. Ivan finally arrived, and random silliness ensued for all of.. ten minutes?

(Just occurred to me that some degree of silliness seems to invariably set in whenever Ivan and I are together. o_O..?)

Ivan said that he was going to, in his own words: "attempt a daring experiment". Which really, was just eating a packet of 3-in-1 coffee powder. Yes, eating it. Which means he poured the thing into his mouth and just... um. Savoured it that way. -_-

And the most stupid thing that I did today was that I took him up on his idea and ate a bit of the coffee powder. Considering that I don't even drink proper coffee --only mocha-- it was a little silly to try to ingest "undiluted" coffee powder.

>_O <-- this is the closest impression that I think of/type to show what my face looked like.

Not only was *that* in itself stupid, but well... this requires another long explanation.

I'd had cornflakes for breakfast about two and a half hours ago then. Cornflakes, if you've ever bothered to stare at the nutrition information while mindlessly munching away, are almost 80% composed of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are the body's most immediate supply of energy, meaning that carbo burns the fastest of all the food groups (provided it doesn't get stored first), so it means that by the time I ate that coffee powder, my stomach was probably half (or almost) empty.

Take it from me; NEVER drink ANYTHING that is caffeinated on an empty stomach.

I drank lemon tea once when I was damn hungry, and it made the hunger pangs MUCH WORSE. Pamela told me later that caffeine makes you even more hungry. I think it stimulates the digestive acids or something.

So, anyway, back to the situation at hand.

Coffee powder on a nearly empty stomach. STUPID idea. Had a really bad stomachache later, which persisted even after I'd taken lunch, and it only went away after I took a nap for about an hour.

I wasted an hour!!

Oh well. Thanks, Ivan. With any luck, I might abstain from caffeine for a few weeks.

Or not. ;)

No comments: